gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Segmentaton fault

From: Eric Merritt
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Segmentaton fault
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:00:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> 1) I've figured out how to trap C stack overflows
> more gracefully by
>    looking at older GCL code.  Basically one needs
> to define
>    SETUP_SIG_STACK in linux.h to use sigaltstack to
> provide an
>    alternate stack to process the segmentation
> signal handler.  I've
>    done this, have tested, and it works well for me.
>  One can continue
>    from this condition, e.g. by quitting to the top
> level, and
>    restoring the stack pointer to its original
> value.

 Very cool. This kind of response just rocks Camm. You
and your fellow maintainers make GCL worth using.

> 2) [ snip good stuff ]

 Andreas Bauer talks about very similar problems they
had using sibcall in the ghc haskell compiler. The
detailed descriptions he provieds in his thesis may be
helpfull, although some of the things he talks about
will not be available until gcc 3.4. His thesis is
located here -> http://home.in.tum.de/~baueran/thesis/

> 3) Am going away until next Wednesday.   will try to
> commit the
>    sigaltstack stuff then.

  Have a good break.