gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] strings copied across heap/local data boundaries

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] strings copied across heap/local data boundaries
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:02:21 +1000

Hi Camm.

| Greetings!  Mike, this sounds quite interesting and promising.
|
| The BEGIN/END NO_INTERRUPT macros only govern signal handling.  I'm
| trying at the moment to reproduce the signal capture in the maxima
| build that you must be seeing.  Do you have strace?  If so, can you
| post the results of running the maxima build under strace -f?
| Alternately,  can you break in main_signal_handler and/or before
| interrupt and provide a gdb backtrace?  What we may be seeing is that
| the Windows OS is sending signals to the running process that are
| simply not being seen on other systems.

I should have known better as Windows doesn't do signalling as such -
they're faked up in the C runtime for the sake of compatibility which makes
the whole idea a bit doubtful.  Never-the-less it could have been a cause.
Further NO_INTERRUPT bracketing led to a regression rather than improvement
so although it may be that garbage collection interference is to blame I was
unable to catch a break in main_signal_handler.

Can anyone think of another way for GC to occur while copying strings
around?

Also improved bcopy() to allow for overlaps but alas no help either.  I'm
feeling defeated by this at the moment and out of ideas.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.