gcl-devel

Re: Some history, was Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Status of GCL?

From: Wolfgang Zocher
Subject: Re: Some history, was Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Status of GCL?
Date: 02 May 2004 17:00:36 +0200

Jeff Dalton <address@hidden> writes:

> Sometime around 1990, I ported KCL to a Gould machine.
> That was difficult, because of the machine's segmented
> architecture.  (I misremembered that one.  I thought
> it might have been to a GEC 63, but it was the Gould that
> had the tricky architecture.)
>
> I also ported "the usual June 1987 KCL (rather than AKCL) to
> the [Sequent] Symmetry" ...

Nice to meet you here :-)

I recently found an old tape (9-track, the big ones) labelled "KCL" from Kyoto
University. It must be from 1987/88. At this time I ported KCL to different
machines, with different types of CDC-mainframes, different Apollo
Workstations and an Atari running OS-9 coming up to mind... Since the Apollos
where my favorite machines I had several ones until 1997 - then they mostly
died because they had severe hardware problems. Then, the strange new world of
"new" processors like Pentium and successors and the nightmare of Windows
began, the latter only for very long 3 month - the I switched to Linux and
soon found KCL again!

Regards,
Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Zocher  http://www.wolfgang-zocher.privat.t-online.de/
Registered Linux User #337888 using Debian GNU/Linux

97.025% of statistics are wrong