gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Questions about GCL's online help system

From: Quo peregrinatur grex
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Questions about GCL's online help system
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:16:06 -0600 (MDT)

Hello all,

I have some questions about GCL's online help.

I have two hosts running GCL-2.6.1 (OS = debian sarge), and
the online help works differently for the two systems.

On one host,

> (help 'setf)

prints a bunch of information from the html help files
located under /usr/share/doc/gcl-doc/gcl/*, and on the
other host,

(help 'setf)

prints just

SETF                                   [Special form and Macro]

[I've shortened the line lengths to make this easier to fit on
a screen, but modulo that, those are the three lines printed.]

On both systems, 'gcl', 'gcl-doc', and 'gclcvs-doc' packages are
installed.  (The 'gcl' and 'gcl-doc' package versions are both
2.6.1-37, so I believe the 'gclcvs-doc' package is ignored in
this case.)

[question 1]
How does GCL decide whether or not to use the installed HTML
documentation under /usr/share/doc/gcl-doc/gcl/* ?

[question 2]
What is the definitive source of information on the Lisp forms
supported by GCL?  The GNU Info pages?  The html pages in the
Debian 'gcl-doc' package?  In other words, to add new documentation,
where (in what part of the CVS checkout tree) do you add it?

[question 3]
Who is the current maintainer for the user-doc part of GCL?
I would like to volunteer to help whoever is currently working
on GCL's user-oriented documentation, to make it even better.
(I'm a teacher, and I'd like to improve the docs so that our
students can use GCL instead of CLisp...)

Thanks kindly,
Lou Glassy (aka 'grex')