gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ACL2 2.8 Debian packages

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: ACL2 2.8 Debian packages
Date: 14 May 2004 17:43:00 -0400

Greetings!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, Camm; that's excellent news.  A more stressful test would be to run
> (time make regression-fresh) after obtaining the books/workshops/ books.  Let
> me know if you want me to try that using images you've already built at UT, or
> if you want guidance in obtaining books/workshops/.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'd first like to see some of the
purported effects in a test which doesn't take too much time here
locally if possible.  So far I cannot reproduce any size effect.

Here is a run with 2.4.1, which cannot compile with current gcc-3.3
(only 2.95), but is run on the same machine with different libraries
(i.e. Debian stable):

    MAXPAGES   time make certify-books-fresh
    --------   -----------------------------
    32*1024    real 100m17.612s  user 98m52.380s  sys 1m24.460s

Due to the differences cited above, in addition to the fact that this
version of gcl did not have compiler::link and made its executables in
a different way, I am unsure if this result is distinguishable from
random noise.  Another difference -- this gcl did not have bfd
linking: one can get a somewhat smaller image on sparc and i386 only
by using --disable-statsysbfd --enable-custreloc.  I'll try to give
this option a whirl with 2.6.1.

If I can find a simple test showing a >=20% effect as reported below
in a couple of instances, we'd have something to go on.

Take care,