gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Is Lisp more than another language?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Is Lisp more than another language?
Date: 06 Jun 2004 21:50:07 -0400

that has been posted to comp.lang.lisp as well.

Greetings!

Jeff Dalton <address@hidden> writes:

> David Steuber <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Jeff Dalton <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Can you say why?  I'm curious, because for me it would be
> > > the opposite.  Having to learn an IDE tool like SLIME
> > > would be an obstacle.
> >
> > Well it's nice to use an editor for code.  But what's really nice is
> > that SLIME gives you a repl buffer as well as a code buffer.
>
> Emacs can do that for you: run your Lisp in a shell buffer.
> Your REPL is there, and you use other buffers for editing files.
>
> Here are some obstacles to using SLIME:
>
> * It works with only some Common Lisps.

Well I guess you mean GCL here.  It is my intention to get this
working right after 2.6.2 is released.  It is not difficult, and we've
already had some helpful feedback from the SLIME developers.

2.6.2 is just wrapping up its release-quality regression tests right
now, and its looking quite good. Several new platforms, significant
performance improvements, greatly enhanced windows port, maxima, acl2,
and axiom across the board, (pc-)nqthm, plus an effectively infinite
(as far as can be discerned at present :-) error free rate on Paul's
random compiler 'torture' tester.

The first item of business for 2.7.0 is to clear the remaining ansi
compliance issues in the new ansi build.

Take care,