gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2.....
Date: 08 Jun 2004 15:43:56 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for your wonderful work here as always!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> | Great!  On the standard tests, we no longer have any issues with
> | compiler version and/or C optimization level, provided
> | -fomit-frame-pointer is removed, right?
>
> As mentioned in an earlier email the release package will use and require
> gcc 3.3.1 as used for the tests.

OK

> I just built GCL with gcc 3.3.3 and binutils 2.15.90 (20040222) and then
> Maxima and got Vadim's error.  I expect gcc 3.4.0 is also not going to work.

OK so two known errors with 2.6.2:

1) gcc 3.3.1 only
2) segfaults in axiom

Right?

> | Just a note here -- 2.6.2c2 should not only run without crashing, but
> | should report no errors.
>
> Is some kind of auto logging of error forms retained?

Not to my knowledge.

> My understanding is that if a form is printed on the console during the test
> then it has failed and that is the only record.  Is that correct?

Yes.

> I have been using the head branch RT as I was under the impression it had
> not been backported to stable - I now understand I was mistaken.
>
> My repeat test with the stable branch RT so far has done 7300 (200 3)
> iterations without error.

Great!

> | > I copied the 2.6.2 source into a modified Axiom source tree but
> | the build
> | > dies with the error shown at the very bottom of this email.  This I will
> | > also leave to the experts.
> | >

> | :-(.  OK, this is (so far the only, to my knowledge) test 2.6.2 will
> | fail on windows.  We'll get to this in 2.7.x.
>
> Agreed re 2.7.0.
>
> I believe that I may not have done the test I thought I had done as I keep
> getting output from the Axiom build consistent with a 2.7.0 version of
> "o/unexnt.c"  - either I've copied the wrong directory, the file is being
> patched durin the Axiom build, or I've got something else wrong.  I'll
> investigate further as I would like to clearly delineate the boundaries of
> 2.6.2

By default, axiom builds its own copy of gcl.  The easiest way to
prevent this and use a known build is to

1) touch lsp/gcldir
2) ln -snf <your gcl tree> lsp/gcl-2.6.2a

but I'm sure you've found a workable way as well.

Take care,