gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Need access to a FreeBSD machine for 2.6.2 testing

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Need access to a FreeBSD machine for 2.6.2 testing
Date: 17 Jun 2004 14:18:41 -0400

Mark Murray <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire writes:
> > Greetings, and thanks!  OK, I see you are using custreloc as the
> > default linking option.  I'll do the tests with that.  Please keep in
> > ming this will limit you to i386 and sparc for the time being.  bfd
> > has extended the native object relocation abilities of gcl greatly,
> > though not yet universally.
>
> Amd64, I suspect also, as it is nearly identical to i386. The emacs folks
> have an unexec/undump funtion which works on (nearly) everything without
> needing bfd. Maybe you want to have a look at that?

We use unexec from emacs anyway.  We need either bfd or custreloc
native object linking to be able to load the executable code of the
module into the .data segment of the running executable, from where
unexec can dump it.  With the dlopem alternative, one cannot preserve
such object loads across unexec image dumps/reexecutions of the saved
image.

So in short without bfd, you will have to default to dlopen on amd64,
and the build will be somewhat limited.

> >                              May I also suggest that you should not
> > export libbfd.a if you are not going to export the corresponding
> > headers, as the former is practically useless without the latter
> > (unlike the dynamic lib.)
>
> I've killed it. The one you found in /usr/lib was the result of
> experimentation and is now history.

Thanks!

Take care,