gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Boyer benchmark results

From: Vadim V. Zhytnikov
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Boyer benchmark results
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:39:29 +0400

Camm Maguire writes:

<snip>

b) Shortly after writing this, I will put up at
                http://people.debian.org/~camm/gabriel.tgz

           the benchmark suite I used with the slight modifications as
           mentioned on the web page.  I'd be most appreciative if
           those in the know could run this suite as well, as well as
           look it over for mistakes/oversights.

Please do it.  I'd like to repeat your benchmarks on
the Athlon XP 300.  Maybe some tests under considiration are
strongly CPU dependent (Pentium 4 vs Athlon).  At leat I know
some other lisp tests (Reduce CAS test with Portable Standard
Lisp) which dislikes Pentium 4 and favor Pentium III and
especially Athlon - Pentium 4 is 2-3 (!!!) times slower.

<snip>

Peter Graves <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

There was a little discussion on #lisp yesterday about the benchmark
results on this page:

   http://people.debian.org/~camm/GCL_2_6_2_tests.html

To add another data point, I ran the Boyer benchmark on GCL CVS head
(built with --enable-ansi) and several other implementations, using an
Athlon XP 2100+ machine running Linux 2.6.0, with the results below.

The benchmark I used was extracted from Eric Marsden's cl-bench suite
and is available here:

   http://armedbear.org/boyer.lisp

I added (declaim (optimize speed)) at the top of the file (and turned
off *gc-verbose* for CMUCL).

For each system, I simply did (compile-file "boyer.lisp"), (load *),
and then (test 100) 3 times.

GET-INTERNAL-RUN-TIME was used for timing.

The results (best of 3 runs for each system):

I confirm these results on Linux 2.4.26,
Athlon XP 3000+, 512Mb

   GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.7.0 ANSI   Jun 17 2004 17:50:11

       3.22 seconds

GCL 2.6.2 ANSI  -  2.78 seconds

   CMU Common Lisp CVS release-18e-branch + minimal debian patches

       2.87 seconds

CMUCL 18e  -  2.26 seconds

   SBCL 0.8.11

       2.592 seconds

SBCL 0.8.8  -  2.54 seconds

   Allegro CL 6.2 Trial Edition

       3.79 seconds

ACL 6.2 Trial  -  3.79 seconds (?)

   CLISP 2.33.1 (2004-05-22)

       18.059256 seconds

CLISP 2.33.1  -  15.48 seconds

   ABCL 0.0.3.15+ (Jun 17 2004 12:21:53) (Java 1.5.0-beta2)

       16.786 seconds

-Peter

--
     Vadim V. Zhytnikov