gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Patches

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Patches
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:07:13 +0000

Camm Maguire writes:
 > Greetings!
 >
 > Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Dear Prof. Bronstein,
 > >
 > > thanks a lot for your answer!
 > >
 > > Manuel Bronstein writes:
 > >  > - new()$Symbol is working properly in the NAG version, so 9298 is
 > >  >   probably a lisp problem.
 > >
 > > Good. I remember that somebody was building axiom on cmucl -- I think it
 > > was
 > > Juergen Weiss. Could he try to reproduce bug #9298 on cmucl? Camm Muguire
 > > (GCL)
 > > already offered to track down the bug:
 > >
 > > Camm Maguire wrote:
 > >  > If you suspect a GCL error here, and preferably can boil it down to a
 > > simple
 > >  > lisp example, I'd be happy to take a look.
 > >
 > > However, I don't know how to "boil it down" :-(
 > >

 > OK, I'm afraid I've lost the thread.  If you could please give me the
 > commands you are using in axiom, what the result is, and what you
 > think it should be, in of course as simple an example as you can, I'll
 > be happy to take a look.

Here you go:

                        AXIOM Computer Algebra System
               Version of Wednesday June 9, 2004 at 15:38:25
   Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
   Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
   Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

   Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
   Re-reading operation.daase
   Re-reading category.daase
   Re-reading browse.daase
(1) -> %A::Symbol

   (1)  %A
                                                                 Type: Symbol
(2) -> new()$Symbol

   (2)  %A
                                                                 Type: Symbol
(3) -> G1419::SYMBOL

   (3)  G1419
                                                                 Type: Symbol
(4) -> symbol(GENSYM()$Lisp)
      SExpression
      DoubleFloat
      SExpressionOf

   (4)  G1419
                                                                 Type: Symbol

   (5)  %B
                                                            Type: Variable %B
(6) -> new()$Symbol

   (6)  %B

The problem seems to be, that somehow the lisp doesn't realize that the symbols
are already around.

Would be great...

Thanks,

Martin