gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: eval-when 'defaults'

From: Michael Koehne
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: eval-when 'defaults'
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:10:57 +0200

Moin Paul & Camm & Mike,

> >Then it would appear the following lisp code is broken, and that a
> >conforming compiler is not obliged to compile set-up-cursor to code
> >that reflects the macro expansion of f-.  Right?

  the lisp code might be broken, in the way I cut'n'pasted it from
  Maxima - the idea behind it was: This is the code, that works, if
  loaded! Lets look, if its able to produce the same crash, if compiled
  under windows, as Maxima does, so we have a smaller code to reproduce
  the crash. My current idea, of why GCL crashes, could be that the
  Maxima build under windows might be doing a simililar error that
  is attested to my sniplet.

  So someone with a deeper knowledge, might look, if the macro's are loaded
  before compilation, or just compiled and loaded afterwards. This would
  explain the crash, as both Maxima and GCL implement aset-by-cursor slightly
  incompatible. Mike needs to take a closer look to compare the Unix build
  process to the MinGW build process, in terms how clmacs.lisp are loaded and
  compiled. Also test both small files, in a way Maxima would use them.

  compile the macro file
  load the macro file
  compile the fillarray sniplet
  load the fillarray sniplet

> I generally put macros definitions and their associated auxiliary
> functions (that are used at macro expansion time) in a file that
> is distinct from the files where the macros are actually used.
> (The one exception would be if the macros don't use auxiliary functions.)

  so a file containing macro's that are required to compile something
  should be loaded before, not just compiled and linked afterwards.

  This is done correctly, if I understand my tee of the Maxima make, on
  my system.

    ;    - Compiling module "compatibility-macros1"
    ;      - Compiling source file "kclmac.lisp"
    Compiling kclmac.lisp.
    End of Pass 1.
    End of Pass 2.
    OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=2, Space=2, Speed=3
    Finished compiling binary-gcl/kclmac.o.

    start address -T 0x85d1618 Finished loading binary-gcl/kclmac.o

    ;      - Compiling source file "clmacs.lisp"
    Compiling clmacs.lisp.
    Warning:
    // is being redefined.
    End of Pass 1.

    ;; Note: Tail-recursive call of ALPHALESSP was replaced by iteration.
    ;; Note: Tail-recursive call of ALPHALESSP was replaced by iteration.
    End of Pass 2.
    OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=2, Space=2, Speed=3
    Finished compiling binary-gcl/clmacs.o.

    Warning:
    // is being redefined.
    start address -T 0x8e64000 Finished loading binary-gcl/clmacs.o

    [ ... many lines of same mk:defsystem run deleted ... ]

    ;    - Compiling module "special-functions"
    ;      - Compiling source file "specfn.lisp"
    Compiling specfn.lisp.
    End of Pass 1.
    End of Pass 2.
    OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=2, Space=2, Speed=2
    Finished compiling binary-gcl/specfn.o.

    start address -T 0xa143ac0 Finished loading binary-gcl/specfn.o

    [ ... many lines of same mk:defsystem run deleted ... ]

    Finished loading autol.lisp

    Finished loading max_ext.lisp

    Finished loading autoconf-variables.lisp

    Finished loading init-cl.lisp
    ;  - Providing system maxima

Bye Michael
--