gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] gcl-2.6.2 / 303 ansitests failed

From: Christian Cornelssen
Subject: [Gcl-devel] gcl-2.6.2 / 303 ansitests failed
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:29:10 +0200

Dear GCL developers,

see the subject line.  Is such amount of failures yet to be
expected?

I am new to Lisp, so don't expect debugging skills from me.

Details:

I have downloaded gcl-2.6.2 plus the dotimes patch and built it
with --enable-ansi on an older machine (i586-pc-linux-gnu,
gcc-2.95.2, binutils-2.11.90.0.29).

I have GMP-4.1.3 installed, and I did not like the idea of
overriding mpn/mul_n.o from different GMP versions, so I replaced
the gmp3/ contents with those of gmp-4.1.3/ and applied gmp.patch
which moved by some offset, but otherwise fitted perfectly and
still seems to be justified according to your readme.gpm.
(I later retried with the original gmp3/ which changed nothing.)

"configure" options other than path settings were:
--enable-readline --enable-ansi --enable-common-binary=no
--enable-statsysbfd=no --enable-dynsysbfd --enable-dynsysgmp
--enable-notify=no

In case you want to drown in details, I have attached an RPM spec
file (the interesting parts are in the %prep and %build sections)
and a build log which also includes test.out contents.

I used some scripts for glancing through the logs, so let me
present the results briefly:

* No gcc warnings except the following unrelated ones (in gcl-tk/):

tkMain.c: In function `TkX_Wish':
tkMain.c:207: warning: passing arg 4 of `Tk_ParseArgv' from incompatible
pointer type
tkMain.c:259: warning: passing arg 2 of `Tcl_Merge' from incompatible pointer
type

* Lots of warnings like:

Warning: XXX is being redefined.

(I hope that's ok.)

* For two files: lsp/gcl_defpackage.lsp pcl/pcl_pkg.lisp
  warnings of the form

; ([...]) is being compiled.
;; Warning: The package operation ([...]) was in a bad place.

  with ([...]) actually looking like a package operation (EXPORT,
  IN-PACKAGE etc), so I think there is something going wrong.

* When the ansitests were run, 303 out of 10697 total tests failed.
  See the attached logfile for details.
  Perhaps more interestingly, an error was caught:

Caught error in EXPORT.5: Error in EXPORT [or a callee]: A
package error occurred on #<"TEST1" package>: "Cannot export
symbol as it will produce a name conflict.".

* As mentioned above, I rebuilt with 2.6.2's original gmp3/ which
  changed essentially nothing: neither the build warnings, nor
  the test outputs.  I did some filtering of the logs, making all
  hex and oct address samples in the test outputs equivalent, in
  order to get an informative diff result.  Which said: no change.

The attached logfile actually is from a third build with "my" GMP
re-enforced.  No change, of course.

So my questions are:

* Is this a known state of affairs?
* If yes, is there a known fix/workaround?
* Should I try a CVS checkout?
* If yes, from where?

Regards,

Christian Cornelssen