gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl profiler?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl profiler?
Date: 12 Jul 2004 17:05:19 -0400

Greetings!  Yes there are two profiling capabilities in GCL, based on
profil and gprof respectively, the latter giving the more extensive
output.  Gprof support needs to be selected at compile time with
--enable-gprof.  It is not enabled by default due to the extra memory
consumption.  Then just bracket your stuff between (si::gprof-start)
and (si::gprof-quit).  Presumably you want information not just on
time spent in GCL core functions, but also in your compiled lisp
code.  These functions need to be compiled into the .text section of
the executable in order to be reported, which one achieves via

(compiler::link (list "my_obj1.o" "my_obj2.o") "new_image")

Fire up new_image, and bracket the calls between gprof-start and
gprof-quit as described above.  Compiled lisp functions are given
arbitrary names, e.g. L1(), etc.  Each function has a comment in the C
source giving its lisp name.  So when compiling your objects, keep the
generated C by (setq compiler::*default-c-file* t) or use :c-file t as
a compile-file argument.  One of the todo items for the next release
is to include the lisp function name in the C function name for this
reason, as well as to hopefully enable gprof by default if the memory
usage can be worked out, and to see if profiling can be done when
modules are loaded into the .data section of the executable via (load
"my_obj1.o")

Take care,