gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] unix daemon in gcl

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] unix daemon in gcl
Date: 19 Jul 2004 10:18:52 -0400

Greetings!

Pascal J.Bourguignon <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I need to write a couple of small unix daemons (sockets, posix shared
> memory, posix semaphores, mmap, etc).  I'd rather write them in
> Common-Lisp so I'm having a look at gcl.
>
> How can we call unix syscalls or functions (from man2 or man3) from
> gcl?  Is there documentation or an example somewhere?

Take a look at pcl/impl/gcl/pcl_gcl_low.lisp.

> I've found defcfun and defentry but they seem to be defined as empty
> macros. Or does it mean that I can use them only in compiled code, not
> in the REPL?

Yes, C code cannot be interpreted.

> I tried:
>
> (compile 'unix-open
>          '(defcfun unix-open "int unix_open(char*n n,int f,int m)" 0
>                   "return open(n,f,m);"))
>
> (unix-open (make-array (length "/tmp/a.lisp") :element-type 'character
>            :initial-contents "/tmp/a.lisp") 1 0)

These forms won't go through compile, at least not at present.  Rather
please stick them in a file and use compile-file.  You can keep the C
code to look at with :c-file t.  Also, look at (clines "....")

> But I get this puzzling error:
>
> >(compile 'unix-open
>          '(defcfun unix-open "int unix_open(char*n n,int f,int m)" 0
>                   "return open(n,f,m);"))
>

> Error: def not a lambda expression
> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by COND.
> Broken at ERROR.  Type :H for Help.

Please keep us posted.  An interesting project!

Take care,