gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Error compiling gcl-2.6.3 on Solaris 8

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Error compiling gcl-2.6.3 on Solaris 8
Date: 19 Jul 2004 10:23:57 -0400

Greetings!

"Andrew F. Seila" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for the quick reply!  I tried both sets of configuration options
> below, but got the same response - an error following the message "Loading
> ../tkl.o"  The "suggestions" were slightly different -
>
> [memory may be damaged]
>
> this time.
>
> Could the problem be associated with the fact that my installation of
> tcl/tk was a binary from Sunfreeware, rather than compiling and installing
> myself?

Doubtful.

> Another thought was that this could be a 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue.

If you have a mixed 32/64 bit environment, I think it is very
important that you ensure that you are using homogenous versions of
all the tools.  Look over makedefs, config.status, and the configure
output carefully.  I've never built GCL in a mixed environment, though
either pure 32 or pure 64 should be fine.

> If I need to generate more debugging output to help resolve this issue,
> please tell me how to do it.

This is likely the best next step.  First, if you have gcc, I'd
recommend using it, though this may not be strictly necessary.
Configure with --enable-debug.  When done with make, do

cd unixport
gdb ./saved_gcl
>(load "../gcl-tk/tkl.o")

find the segfault, and give a backtrace with

(gdb)bt

We can proceed from there.

> I would appreciate any suggestions!

Take care,