gcl-devel

Re: FW: [Gcl-devel] Floating-point performance of GCL? Bug?

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Re: FW: [Gcl-devel] Floating-point performance of GCL? Bug?
Date: 23 Jul 2004 13:56:37 +0200

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Possibly the greatest obstacle for you at this point will be ANSI
> compatibility.  We are rapidly moving towards that goal for the next
> major version stable release (2.7.0) and I believe that Femlisp will be
> an excellent test case to that end.

This sounds as if I should try to get GCL from CVS instead of version 2.6.3
which I got from Debian.  I have tried to checkout GCL from Savannah by

cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gcl co gcl

Unfortunately, configure/make on my P4/Debian system runs into an error:

gcc -c -Wall -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/home/neuss/CL-HOME/gcl/o -I../h -I../gcl-tk fat_string.c
fat_string.c:17: bfd.h: No such file or directory
fat_string.c:18: bfdlink.h: No such file or directory
fat_string.c: At top level:
../h/ptable.h:53: storage size of `link_info' isn't known
make[1]: *** [fat_string.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/neuss/CL-HOME/gcl/o'
make: *** [unixport/saved_pre_gcl] Error 2

Is this really the version you are currently working on or should I get a
different one?

I want to proceed as follows:

1. Setup the most ANSI-compatible version of GCL
2. Setup defsystem.
3. Setup infix.
4. Look where I get hung for the first time with compiling Femlisp.

It would be nice if you or others could help me in getting 1&2&3 to work.

Thank you very much,

Nicolas.