gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Windows gcc 3.4.0 rdata custom relocation

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Windows gcc 3.4.0 rdata custom relocation
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:06:23 +1000

Hi Camm.

Camm Maguire wrote:
Greetings!  Mike, this is absolutely fantastic!  Congratulations.  You
are the next relocation expert :-).

Thanks. Relocation to a tropical island with water, food shelter and medical facilities is what I assume you mean.

Don't know about the aref stuff -- haven't checked the patch closely,
but I already got:

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.7.0 CLtL1   Jun 24 2004 15:18:57
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

(setq a (make-array 10))

#(NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL NIL)

(aref a -1)

Error: Array index -1 out of bounds for #(NIL NIL NIL ...)
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by AREF.
Broken at AREF.  Type :H for Help.

Yes, that's what I wanted to happen, in line with our co-compilers LispWorks and Corman Common Lisp.

I closed the bug but no email notification came to me and presumably not to you either so I suppose it went the way of the alleged reconnection of our CVS notifications.

Do you have a test case showing the failure of the old algorithm?

Bug report 7807 :

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=7807

Am wondering if your fantastic breakthrough warrants a 2.6.4.

Conservatively speaking I don't believe so, partly because we have specified gcc 3.3.1 for Windows 2.6.x anyway, and also because I had to make some larger changes today as follows:

I forgot to try out the case with no --enable-debug which sure enough failed because the rdata section was not at the same index as when stabs sections are present - moved from 6 to 4.

So I spent the day rewriting to search through the section headers and to assign offsets/indices as required and, as noted earlier, to help clear the way for any future moves to build with MS Visual C. These changes appear to work, but I think we should test them for a while to ensure I haven't broken custom relocation on the other platforms. So far I've only tested Maxima too.

I also tried the brand new gcc MinGW32 3.4.1 release candidate which built and tested Maxima as required.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.