gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: ./configure on Apple MacIntosh G5, with MacOS 10.3.4

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: ./configure on Apple MacIntosh G5, with MacOS 10.3.4
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:28:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Warren,

> I wish I could be more specific.  When I save an
> application without
> disabling SGC, then sometime later, using that saved
> application, I
> get random failures.  For instance, yesterday, when
> running the
> compiler, during the second pass, it just stopped
> right in the middle
> of printing a C-variable symbol to file for
> compilation by the GCC.
>
> I don't have any trouble getting errors, but I
> haven't been able to
> get the same error twice, thus I don't know what to
> report to you.  If
> I disable SGC, then my saved applications work as
> expected.
>
> Let me further describe the scenario.  I am working
> with NQTHM-1992 or
> ACL2, two symbolic computation tools.  The system
> building process for
> both of these tools involves compiling a number of
> files, loading the
> compiled images, and then using the GCL command
> SI.:SAVE-APPLICATION
> to produce an application.
>
> If I use the tools as they is produced by the system
> build process,
> but without saving the application, then I seem to
> be able to use the
> system as I would expect (even though SGC hasn't
> been disabled).  That
> is, if I compile and load the files that comprise
> the system and then
> use this running system, then everything seems to
> work normally.  But,
> if I save either of these systems and attempt to use
> them (without
> disabling SGC), then I get different (random) errors
> as I use the
> resulting systems -- these errors are often fatal.

Might it be that the state of memory (that is,
read/write/execute protections) is incorrectly
restored upon re-execution of a saved image ?

As a temporary conclusion, can we say that these
random bugs completely disappear if SGC is disabled ?

Could you run your NQTHM-1992/ACL2 in gdb and see if
the crash is due to EXC_BAD_ACCESS exceptions ?

> If I can isolate a repeatable failure, I will it
> send along.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Warren

Thanks,
Aurelien

Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés pour
dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com