gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl on solaris

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Building gcl on solaris
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:26:32 -0400

Camm Maguire wrote:

This works in the sense that the only solaris machine to which I have
access, which has gnu awk and grep in the path, is used successfully
as the base for ACL2 at a large university.  gcc is the default
compiler there, but solaris ld is the default linker.  At this site,
there is also a libbfd in a non-standard place, but it always appears
to be out of sync with the bfd headers, so I use --disable-statsysbfd
--enable-locbfd to build a local copy.  You can also use
--disable-statsysbfd --enable-custreloc on sparc and i386.

Ok.  I'll try this.  I don't think I even have libbfd on this box.

In general, I'd like to make this smoother.  What do you feel is a
reasonable set of gcl build dependencies on solaris?  I'm assuming for
example that having gcc on solaris is not a problem.

I think you should assume only what's on solaris. :-)

For example, I think the use of grep -q could be done more portably as grep 2>&1 > /dev/null. Solaris comes with nawk, so you could assume that.

Since solaris doesn't come with a C compiler, assuming gcc is good. Allowing the use of Sun C might be good to for those that have it. I have Sun C at work. I have heard Sun's C compiler is usually better than gcc on sparc, so using that might give a boost in speed.

Ray