gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.6.5hi

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.6.5hi
Date: 17 Sep 2004 16:53:13 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> Thanks so very much for the in-lining improvements to gethash!
>
> Just to test gcl-2.6.5hi a bit, I have built ACL2 on top of it and run some
> very gethash-intensive tests, getting overall speeds ups of 2.5, 8, and 14
> percent on various tests.  No troubles encountered.  So I think you've done a
> wonderful thing.

Great!

1) Are these the same tests on which you've previously reported gains
   of 30%?  Current implementation should be no worse, but correct
   :-).
2) The real speedups are to be had through a better hashing
   algorithm.  If I recall, Warren had a proposed patch in this
   regard.  Please feel free to send me such if you still feel hashing
   is too slow.

> Thanks,
>
> Bob
>
> P. S. Now for what is undoubtedly a really dumb question.  In the last
> message you sent giving various examples such as:

This is now perhaps a no-op in gcl.  Older code had this in several
places to trigger various inlining behavior, perhaps due to
since-fixed bugs in the type system.  I haven't verified down its
vacuousness in all cases, and so habitually throw it into tests like
these.

Take care,