gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: possible GCL/Windows compiler bug

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: possible GCL/Windows compiler bug
Date: 13 Oct 2004 12:14:53 -0400

Greetings!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> Here is some information on the bug.  I started up ACL2 under gdb as follow,
> using an ACL2 build in which SGC was never turned on.
>
> gdb ../../nosgc-saved_acl2.gcl.exe
>
> Then I submitted the following three commands (these are close to the simplest
> ones I can imagine that invoke the bug):
>
> (f-put-global 'safe-mode t state)
> :q
> (ACL2_*1*_ACL2::MATCH-CLAUSE 'DCL '(& . &)
>                            '(T))
>
> Here is gdb output.  Please let me know if you need anything else.  You
> mentioned "--enable-debug passed to gcl" -- Do I need to rebuild gcl, or is
> this a gcl command-line option?  If I need to rebuild gcl, I'd appreciate any
> tips (I've rarely done this and never with mingw).
>
> I'd also be _very_ interested in knowing if the backtrace below rules out the
> possibility of an ACL2 bug.

Don't know yet.

> GNU gdb 5.2.1
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32"...
> (gdb) r
> Starting program: c:\matt\acl2\v2-9\books\misc/../../nosgc-saved_acl2.gcl.exe

> 0x102dbbbc in ?? ()
> (gdb) bt

OK, so your fault address is 0x102dbbbc.  Look into your build log,
and find the start address at which this function was loaded:

e.g.
(defun foo (x) x)

FOO

>(compile 'foo)

Compiling gazonk0.lsp.
End of Pass 1.
End of Pass 2.
OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3
Finished compiling gazonk0.lsp.
start address -T 0x842bf60 Finished loading gazonk0.o

                 ^^^^^^^^^

#<compiled-function FOO>

Then at the gdb break above, do

(gdb) p/x *(char *)<start_address>@1024
(gdb) p/x *((char *)<start_address>+1024)@1024

etc. until you pass over 0x102dbbbc, and send me the output.

Then dump the source of your function into a file, compile-file with
:c-file t, and send me the .c and the objdump -d of the .o

Hope this is not too tedious, but if we can complete this, it should
let us know what is going on.

As for debugging, to get complete information, one must rebuilt gcl
with --enable-debug given at gcl compile time.  There should be a file
readme.mingw with instructions.  However, in this case, we know the
failure to be in an acl2 function loaded in the heap.  You can
probably save time therefore by requilding acl2 only with
compiler::*c-debug* set to t.  While you are at it, also set
compiler::*default-c-file* to t.  If the fault persists, we can then
pinpoint it exactly to a line in the C.

Take care,