gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] gcl help

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] gcl help
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:36:04 +1000

Hi Eric.

I've CC'ed back onto the mailing list so that you get the benefit of input
from more qualified writers (especially as you are running GCL on Linux) and
also to give other users the benefits of our experience with this problem.

There are two ways that come to mind:

  1. (save-system "some_new_name") - This saves an entire running Lisp
system as an executable to a new name of your choice and is used, for
example, to produce the Maxima, ACL2 and Axiom executables.  (Those last
three programs are mathematical programs which can be built with GCL.)

  2. As mentioned in my earlier email, there is also "compiler-link", which,
despite at least two attempts by Camm Maguire to educate me on an in-depth
basis, I always forget the details of.  I think you probably use this one if
you want a new GCL linked to external libraries not normally linked in the
GCL build.

You can, of course, alter the normal build system to suit your own needs,
but that isn't especially convenient.

Cheers

Mike Thomas