gcl-devel

Re: FW: [Gcl-devel] gcl help

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: FW: [Gcl-devel] gcl help
Date: 29 Oct 2004 11:27:25 -0400

Greetings, and please excuse the delay in replying.

Eric Parker <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I have spent the past 6 years developing an AI
> algorithm using Lisp. Now I want to use my Lisp
> reasoning engine in an application. But most of the
> applications I'm looking at are written in C. So how
> do I get a standalone binary of my Lisp program that
> can be linked into a C program?
>
> (si::save-system...) wont work for me because when you
> run the executable it invokes the Lisp interpreter.
> That is not what I want.
>
> It just seems to me that at this late day and age
> there ought to be an easy way to develop
> mixed-language programs, e.g. C + Lisp. Apparently I
> am expecting too much, because I've been researching
> the topic for some time now and I'm not getting
> anywhere with it.
>
> Of course, maybe I'm dumb ;)
>
> Can anyone help me?

I agree with the desirability of what you seek.  It is possible with
gcl, but not (yet) transparent.  What you effectively want to do is
replaces the following from  main.c

              again:
                super_funcall(sStop_level);
                if (type_of(sSAmultiply_stacksA->s.s_dbind)==t_fixnum) {
                    multiply_stacks(fix(sSAmultiply_stacksA->s.s_dbind));
                    goto  again;
                }

with your program, then using find_symbol, eval, and funcall to call
your lisp routines.

If you choose to investigate this, and have suggestions as to how we
could make this more transparent, I'd be very interested.  Its just a
lot easier to work with a real example than in the abstract.

Take care,