gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] ANSI test Windows OPEN.* failures

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] ANSI test Windows OPEN.* failures
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:04:27 +1000

Camm Maguire wrote:

file's proposed directory did not exist.  I solved this with
"ENSURE-DIRECTORIES-EXIST" in the function "get-io-index-stream" in
"src/interpreter/nlib.lisp.pamphlet" and when I left for work this morning
the spad compiler was happily doing algebra in the LAYER0COPY target in the
Makefile.

Why the Linux version of:

 (open index-file :direction :io :if-exists :overwrite
                       :if-does-not-exist :create)

apparently builds the directory automatically I must yet discover, but now
that I know where the error is, that should not be a problem.

Wonderful news, Mike!  You da man!  Please let me know if discovering
this error poses any problems.

You'll be pleased to know I finally managed to set up a reasonably stable DeMudi Linux system and checked out HEAD GCL's "open" - it does not unexpectedly make non-existent directories per my earlier guess. I think that the Windows Axiom build is producing harmless messages/warnings during the build which are not produced on Linux, which lead to the need for the directory "AHYP.erlib"; it was that directory which caused the major barf on Windows.

The database build bug looks like a pathname bug which I will also have to track down when I have more time - until then I am copying the daase files by hand halfway through the build.

Putting all this aside, I've today built Axiom on two Windows boxes - XP (PIV) and 2000 Pro (AMD64) and once built it runs like a 'ken bought one' on both machines (text only). Now that I'm understanding the Axiom source code layout a little better I'm finding it relatively easy to work with - it reminds me of Haskell.

It's now 10 pm, I started at 5.30 am and we're in the middle of a beta release at work so I'm going to sleep otherwise I won't survive the week.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.