gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Axiom on Windows

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Axiom on Windows
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:57:25 -0500

Mike,

On Wednesday, December 01, 2004 12:33 AM you wrote:

> The upload is complete, along with a copy of libgmp.dll and
> gmp-static-mingw-4.1.tar.gz.

Great. I have downloaded it and completed a few tests. It
seems to be fully functional. Congratulations!!!

I was very pleasantly surprized to see that AXIOMsys under
windows works with the usual 'gnu readline' line editing.
So it seems we do not need to worry about the clef program.

Since I know several other people are anxious to try Axiom
on Windows, I just couldn't resist preparing a zip file
directly from your uploaded files but containing just the
minimum distribution files (about 45 Mbytes) and some simple
instructions for a manual installation. See updated instructions
here:

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/AxiomDownload

Of course I have to emphasize to everyone that this is "use
at your own risk" software. Axiom as a whole is still at the
pre-release stage. But I think wider testing and feedback
would be very useful.

> Surprisingly I was also able to just double click in Windows
> Explorer on the "axiomSYS.exe" binary in
> c:/cvs/head/mnt/windows/bin" and get AXIOM to work
> without setting any environment variables - it found the
> autoloads without problems.

That is because by default Axiom looks in the place where
it was built for these files. So if you run it from where
it was built, no problem. But if you move Axiom to another
location (the usual case, e.g. c:\Program Files), then you
must set the AXIOM environment variable

  AXIOM=c:/Program Files/axiom/mnt/windows

(See instructions on above web page).

Note that it seems necessary that the slashes in this variable
must be forward / not the usual windows backslash \.

Regards,
Bill Page.