gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Axiom for Windows and TeXmacs

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Axiom for Windows and TeXmacs
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:17:04 +1000

Hi Bill.

| > I just wish we had saveable worksheets for both CAS systems -
| > TeXmacs seems not to be able to do that yet.
|
| I am not sure I understand your comment. It is already
| possible now to save a TeXmacs document that includes any
| kind of session output (including Axiom) as if it was a
| "worksheet". My only quibble with TeXmacs is that it currently
| has no easy way to re-execute all of the session commands
| embedded in a document with one click. One must visit each
| command in the document and press Enter to cause it to be
| re-executed.

Yes, this last; although I hadn't realised it was even possible by the
method you mention (What do I click on to do so?).

A worksheet to me is a live document where the state of the (in this case
Axiom, but also any other) system is accurately saved and restored and
separately saveable in a word processing format native to the particular
system.  Note that I realise I'm asking for an ideal state of affairs (see
your/Cliff's comments about Windows users below) rather than negatively
criticising the enormous amount of hard work which has made the current
offering what it is today.

| > Bill, I can send you an up to date PDF copy of the Axiom
| > book built from CVS if you would like to include it in
| > your web zip file.
| >

| That's a cool idea. I think we need to give some thought to
| how to package Axiom for Windows. As C Y (subject: crazy
| idea) has pointed out, Windows users tend to have greater
| expectations when in comes to the completeness. C Y's
| "crazy idea" was that maybe we should include TeXmacs for
| Windows together with the Axiom for Windows - assuming
| that TeXmacs would be the preferred interface. Even if
| we don't do that, then at least I think the Windows package
| should include the tm_axiom interface and as you suggest,
| the Axiom book.
|
| links? The method that I used most recently (dvipdfm under
| Debian) did not produce working links.

Sadly no working links - dvips followed by Ghostscript.  I think the PS file
was amongst those I sent originally.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.