gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: More on building Axiom and GCL on Solaris 9

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: More on building Axiom and GCL on Solaris 9
Date: 15 Dec 2004 09:39:44 -0500

Greetings!

How did you configure the first time?  In any case, this run found a
bfd.h header which has an intelligible boolean syntax.  Would be
interested in the value of HAVE_BFD_BOOLEAN set by configure here.
Just in case you did configure with -disable-statsysbfd
--enable-locbfd the last time and somehow you still don't have false
and true, please do

cd o && cpp -I../h fat_string.h

And send me the output.  You should see what I do in this case:

# 113 "../h/bfd.h"
typedef enum bfd_boolean {false, true} boolean;
# 170 "../h/bfd.h"

The problem below is entirely separate -- configure could not
determine that your readline library already defined
rl_compentry_func_t.

Here is the test:

        AC_CHECK_LIB(readline,rl_completion_matches,
                        AC_DEFINE(HAVE_DECL_RL_COMPLETION_MATCHES)
                        AC_DEFINE(HAVE_RL_COMPENTRY_FUNC_T),,)

And here is the code in gcl_readline.d leading to the collision:

#ifndef HAVE_RL_COMPENTRY_FUNC_T
/* same here */
typedef char *rl_compentry_func_t(const char *, int);
#endif

My guess is that you've run configure without your /opt/csw/include
directory in your C_INCLUDE_PATH environment.  configure probably
could not find readline.h at all, and you may have had to instruct GCL
as to its location explicitly.

My suggestion -- either add --disable-readline to the configure flags
to get quickly beyond this point, or

1) start with a plain gcl-2.6.5 with only the patches from the errata
   page applied.

2) Do something like the following (in analogy with Mac OSX, which
   also has non-traditional locations for installed software:)

  export PATH=/opt/csw/bin:$PATH
  export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/csw/include:$C_INCLUDE_PATH
  export LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/lib:$LIBRARY_PATH
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

        (probably don't need the below)
  export CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp"
  ulimit -s 8192

3) ./configure --disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd && make

4) send me the output from 3) if failures persist.

P.S. I think you are doing this already, but in my meager experience
with Solaris, one uses gcc for most free software projects like gcl,
but must use Solaris ld to link for reasons not completely clear to
me.  Most environments are setup for this to my knowledge.  Might want
to check which cc, which gcc, gcc -v, and which ld.

Take care,