gcl-devel

Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: 03 May 2005 09:59:37 -0400

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Monday, May 02, 2005 9:48 PM From: Mike Thomas wrote:

> > 2.6.7PRE
> >
> > I just checked that 2.6.7pre builds on Windows.  Will likewise
> > test Maxima etc as the week progresses.
>
> I also have successfully built -r Version_2_6_7_pre gcl on windows.
>
> > What I need is some Lisp test code and simple instructions
> > to check whatever network functionality you've added which
> > you hope will work straight off under Windows.
> >
> > Please also tell me your time frame for getting 2.6.7 finalised
> > and I'll try without promises to address GCL-TK within those limits.
>
> I tried to build gcl-tk on windows from Version_2_6_7_pre by doing
> the following:
>
> 1) Download and install TclTk (tcltk-8.4.1-1.exe) from
>    http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml
>
>    By default TclConfig.sh and friends end up in /mingw/lib
>
> 2) In gcl ./configure --enable-tclconfig=/mingw/lib
>
> 3) make
>
> The make proceeds normally until I see:
>
> if [ -d "" ] ; then \
>         cd gcl-tk && make ; \
> else \
>         echo "gcl-tk not made..missing include or lib" ; \
> fi
> gcl-tk not made..missing include or lib
>
> --------
>
> The Makefile stanza is:
>
> do-gcl-tk:
>         if [ -d "$(TK_CONFIG_PREFIX)" ] ; then \
>                 cd gcl-tk && $(MAKE) ; \
>         else \
>                 echo "gcl-tk not made..missing include or lib" ; \
>         fi
>
> ---------
>
> Doing make -d TK_CONFIG_PREFIX=/mingw/lib doesn't get me much
> further.
>
> So it seems that although ./configure finds TclConfig.sh and
> the necessary variables, for some reason TK_CONFIG_PREFIX is
> not set. Is this a problem with configure?

If your tcl/tk is in a non-standard location, you may have to specify
the paths to gcl's configure with the switches:

 --enable-tkconfig=XXXX will force the use of a TK_CONFIG_PREFIX=XXXXX as place
to look for tkConfig.sh and tclConfig.sh
 --enable-tclconfig=XXXX will force the use of a TCL_CONFIG_PREFIX=XXXXX as
place to look for tclConfig.sh and tclConfig.sh

> Mike, can you give me some hints on how you actually build
> gcl-tk on Windows? What am I doing wrong? Earlier I had also
> downloaded and build tcl 8.3.4 on MSYS but I got the same
> results when building GCL. Now tcl 8.4 seems to be the preferred
> version on Windows.

Just to clarify, my opinion is that gcl-tk is a low hanging fruit on
Windows.  It does not work yet 'out of the box'.  My hope is that Mike
might be able to find time to at least assess what needs to be done.

> In the mean time, I will do some experiments with Camm's
> GCL web server code on Windows.

Great!

Take care,