gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] New user question - more explicit information

From: kraehe
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] New user question - more explicit information
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:47:01 +0200

Moin Jordan Rosenthal,

> 1) There are a bunch of configure options to get dynamic loading of
> compiled files (e.g., static bfd, local bfd, dynamic bfd, dlopen, etc).
>  Which is the preferred method?  Currently, I am using the dynamic bfd
> (i.e., the shared bfd libraries on my system).  Also, how does the
> gcl-elf-loader fit into the picture?

  BFD was only able to dynamicaly link objects, that had been written
  to fit GCL, e.g. by (compile-file "somefile.lsp") and unable to load
  and resolve external libraries. So extensions like X11 and OpenGL
  needed a large GCL with a large wrapper, to bind any X11 and OpenGL
  function.

  the elf-loader started as an experiment to reduce the size of
  wrapper libraries for X11 and OpenGL. The idea was to bfd load
  a wrapper that is able to access a dynamic link library and just
  picking those functions from the library the application needs.

  So you only need to staticaly link one library
     (compiler::link '("elf-loader.o") "gclelf" nil "-ldl")
  to access any library you want by dynamicaly bfd loading
  your wrapper.

> 2) How do I use the compiler::link command?

  the compiler::link command will create a new GCL binary, with staticaly
  linked additional object files and libaries. This should work on any
  system, regardless of dynamic bfd or elf loading.

> Perhaps if it is simpler, we could work with a toy problem.  Let's say I
> have an external shared library...maybe the BLAS numerical library or
> the libxml2 library on Linux.  How do I create an image that let's me
> link to all the symbol's in these (shared) libraries from a clines
> construct later on?

  both certainly are'nt toy problems - a libxml2 wrapper would run
  into the problem of UTF2ISO conversion, while BLAS might offer
  other can of worms, i'm not aware of, but I think arrays of various
  structure might need a lot of conversion. A wrapper for BLAS might
  look like elf-test.lsp, so you first have elf::use-lib to tell
  the system about the dynamic libariers your wrapper needs, next
  a few functions like call_d1d with entrys like call-d1d, who
  receive a pointer of the real library function to call. This
  pointer is resolved by the later defun wrappers, calling
  elf::usr-sym to pick the symbol from hash or to resolve it
  with libdl.

ciao,Michael
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.29'UNZ+1'