gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: ACL2 seminar

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: ACL2 seminar
Date: 10 May 2005 11:23:33 -0400

[ cc: gcl-devel as readers there might be interested in this
information too.]

Greetings!

OK, didn't know a talk was desired in the end, but if everyone doesn't
mind it being rather informal and quickly put together, how about
this:

GNU Common Lisp (GCL) is arguably the open source common lisp system
with the longest continuous history of production use.  It is also one
of the most portable, and most powerful.  GCL compiles lisp to native
object code with the help of the system's C compiler; loads native
code interactively into the running image; is able to write an exact
replica of the running memory image to disk, implements conservative
garbage collection with page-type memory balancing, fast copy
collecting of relocatable pages, and generational stratification of
the heap into read-only pages; implements function calls with the
speed of the underlying C via a function pointer, with the runtime
option of a slower call mechanism for debugging purposes; supports two
code profiling modes; provides facile access to arbitrary external C
or Fortran libraries; carries maxima, acl2, and axiom to all 12 Debian
GNU/Linux platforms, Windows, *BSD, and MacOSX; is performance
competitive with other high performance lisp systems; supports both
CLtL1 and ANSI dialects, the latter of which is a work in progress;
has developed an ANSI regression test suite which is regarded as the
most definitive openly available; and is licensed under the LGPL
guaranteeing its availability to users in the future.