gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] The Google initiative.

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] The Google initiative.
Date: 03 Jun 2005 09:31:43 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> I threw a couple of Windows related GCL proposals up on the Lisp NYC Summer
> of Code suggestions page:
>
>   http://www.alphageeksinc.com/cgi-bin/lispnyc.cgi?SummerOfCode
>
> One a Win32 library the other cross-platform multithreading.

Very interesting.  Any idea of who posted?

Win32 is just as accessible as any C library from GCL to my knowledge,
which is quite readily.  The real issue is cross-platform, as neither
maxima nor axiom should have to #+#- their graphics code.  I.e. someone
needs to write a lisp layer on top, and then show why this is better
than gcl-tk given the effort, presuming we can make it work on mingw
:-).

Multithreading would be wonderful.  The real issue is not so much the
gc, but the relatively many global state variables throughout GCL,
especially special variable stacks in the compiler.  As we discussed
earlier, a plet based on fork is a likely first step, even if it is
eventually superseded.

Take care,