gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: using gcl to create shared library?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: using gcl to create shared library?
Date: 03 Jun 2005 11:35:24 -0400

Greetings!

While this would be possible, I think the natural direction would be
to call the GUI as an embedded external rather than the other way
around.  There are several options in this area.  Check out gcl-tk,
and if you do, use branch 2.6.7pre from cvs (-r Version_2_6_7pre).
Also, Mike Thomas has a japi java gui interface option, try
--enable-japi to configure.

There appears to be more demand on having GCL manage more resources
rather than fewer, so the embedded approach while possible is likely
to collide with these other considerations.  Not the least of which is
that GCL natively loads and relocates its own object modules at fixed
address offsets -- loading in a shared library would have to
gurarantee the same load address unless we use dlopen as the dynamic
linker (--enable-dlopen), which is quite limited in comparison -- one
cannot preserve loads across image saves, no more than 1024 open file
descriptors, etc.

Can java run embedded under lisp?

Please keep us posted!

Take care,