gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GNU make bug

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GNU make bug
Date: 22 Jun 2005 10:59:06 -0400

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire writes:
> > Greetings, and thanks Vadim!  This is now committed.
> > You asked earlier about a 2.7.0 roadmap.  I'll try to put together a
> > comprehensive list soon, but obviously the top is ansi compliance.
> > I'm wondering if I can solicit you help in proposing some patches to
> > close some of our ansi test suite failures.  If so, do you have an
> > area with which you feel most comfortable?  I'd really appreciate
> > someone concentrating on the formatter/printer if possible.  The idea
> > of course is to preserve the spirit of the code in place.
> > Take care,
> >

> Hi Camm!
>
> I've been testing recent gcl 2.7.0 twc with Maxima
> and observe several Maxima test failures and some
> performance degradation.  First of all I'd like
> to consier these issues.  Formatter/printer is OK

Thank you for looking into this!  I'd suggestion using the tag
Version_2_7_0t1.

There are two possible performance related issues of which I am
aware.

1) We have a smaller default hole size which expands with the core
   proportionally.  This should add a bit of time purely in gc, and
   can be circumvented by setting the hole size.

2) There was an array compilation problem that has since been cleared
   in the above mentioned tagged version.

> for me but I can't really tell when I could
> dive into the problem - recently my schedule
> for this summer hardened quite a bit.
> But I really don't know it may be really
> not so bad ...

Would be very helpful!

I'm hoping we can release by summer's end, but I don't think we should
until the overwhelming majority of Paul's ansi tests pass.

Take care,