gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] UFFI

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] UFFI
Date: 27 Jun 2005 11:06:04 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for your interest in this!

"Steven H. Rogers" <address@hidden> writes:

>  From reviewing the archives, it seems that while Camm thinks porting UFFI to
> GCL would be a good thing to do and should
> be straight forward, he's too wrapped up with ANSI compliance for 2.7 to
> address it in the near term.  Is anyone else
> working on UFFI for GCL?

I do not know of anyone, and I will not have time until ansi is done.

GCL has a well-developed and powerful foreign function interface, but
not the standard uffi one (yet).  It is based aournd defcfun,
defentry, and clines (see docs, and threads in gcl-devel for examples
re: blas library interface).  What is needed is someone who has read
up on what uffi requires, and can map this functionality to that spec.

> If no one is working on this and one were begin this project in the near
> future, would it be best to work with GCL 2.6.6
> or 2.7.0t1?

If uffi requires ansi semantics, I'd use the latest testing version,
which is now Version_2_7_0t2.  Otherwise, I'd use 2.6.6, as nothing
we're doing in 2.7 is likely to affect what is needed for uffi, and it
represents a more stable starting point.

Are you volunteering (hope so)?  Can you indeicate what end-user (as
opposed to developer) applications this might enable on gcl?

Take care,