gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] UFFI

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] UFFI
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:38:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

> Are you volunteering (hope so)?  Can you indeicate what end-user (as
> opposed to developer) applications this might enable on gcl?

IIRC, there was definite interest in a universal UFFI from the
direction of the Maxima group.  Immediate potential uses that come to
mind as interesting things to link to are GNU Scientific Libraries
(GSL), pari-gp (perhaps?), and a variety of other numerical routines.
Of personal interest to me might be the zic libraries and/or VTK for
graphics - it might be interesting to see how (if) those might be used
to give scigraph 3D abilities.  Of course, rewriting in lisp is always
the most desirable option but for things like GSL it's just not
practical in terms of both speed and manpower.

I note the LispNYC Summer of Code projects include some rather
interesting FFI projects, including this one:

http://www.alphageeksinc.com/cgi-bin/lispnyc.cgi?HelloC

and a C++ foreign function interface generator (drool).  Unfortuantely,
this one didn't get funded:
http://www.alphageeksinc.com/cgi-bin/lispnyc.cgi?LilacInterface

but if HelloC achieves its goals hopefully there will be followup on
Lilac and using libraries in lisp will suddenly be a common,
(relatively) straightforward thing :-).

Cheers,
CY

P.S. - I've never been clear on this - is clx an interface to X
windows, and thus a specialized FFI, or something different?

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com