gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL 2.7.0 t3 progress, and a configure problem

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL 2.7.0 t3 progress, and a configure problem
Date: 12 Jul 2005 18:44:26 -0400

Greetings, and thanks so much for your feedback!

<address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
> I have been using GCL 2.7.0 t3 to attempt to build our processor model books.
>  First, I can confirm that t3 fixes the
> problems that we previously reported to you against t1 and t2 -- many thanks.
>
> On the down side, I can't seem to configure t3 to use a large number of
> pages.  If I use --enable-maxpage=X, where X <
> 524288, configure runs normally (although it appears that X > 262144 but <
> 524288 gets rounded down to 262144).  However,

Yes, currently must be a power of 2.  Working on this.

> with X >= 524288, configure goes into a loop.  configure prints
> checking for maxpage revision...
> then CPU usage gets pegged at 100%, as a conftest process runs and runs and
> runs...I finally stopped it after an hour,

OK, I cannot reproduce with 524288, but can see how there could
possibly be a problem here.  Perhaps you could post your full
configure log before the hang.  Here is the program doing the test --
I need the values of the shell variables prefixed by $ especially:

main()
{
  char *b;
  unsigned long i,j;
  FILE *fp = fopen("conftest1","w");
  j=((unsigned long)$enable_maxpage <<$PAGEWIDTH) + $dbegin;
  j=$heap_ceiling && j>$heap_ceiling ? $heap_ceiling : j;
  j-=$dbegin;
  for (i=1;i<=j;i<<=1);
  if (i>j) i>>=1;
  fprintf(fp,"%ld",i>>$PAGEWIDTH);
  fclose(fp);
  return 0;
}],tmp_maxpage=`cat conftest1`,tmp_maxpage=0,tmp_maxpage=0)

In any case, if your shared library start is at 0x40000000, the
current default on 32bit Linux, you won't be able to go beyond a gig
anyway.  I'm working on a static linking option to eliminate this
obstacle.  I think the huge heaps reported are pretty much all on
64bit machines.

> running on a fast (3 GHz) Red Hat Linux (Enterprise Workstation 3) machine
> (kernel 2.4.21) with lots of RAM (3 GB).
> Unfortunately, I need to increase the maxpage setting, because I am running
> out of cons cells with X = 262144, so all my
> books won't certify.  I thought Boyer and co. were using 2.7.0 to create huge
> heaps -- what are they doing right that I'm
> not?
> Thanks in advance,
> David Hardin
> P.S.  Is immfix enabled by default?  It appears to be.

Yes, if configure can find space inaccessible to the heap.

Take care,