gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Bugs, check-ins, testing

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Bugs, check-ins, testing
Date: 26 Aug 2005 17:36:50 -0400

Greetings!  Please forgive me everyone for my recent silence -- work
had piled up after my return from vacation.

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> Welcome back (I assume you are home, I saw you did something
> with debian on 8/23).
>
> I've finished the BUGS list.  There were 284 open bugs.  I've

Great!!!  Extremely helpful work here!

> since fixed two of them (a typep problem and a REMF bug) and
> reduced the number of ansi-test failures to 1725 (mostly
> from the typep change) and checked in these changes.  Should
> I be updating the debian changelog for this?

I've been using debian/changelog to document all my changes, so if you
want to do the same that would be great.  Typically I make an entry in
the changelog, and then commit to cvs with the same message the
modified changelog and the fixed files to which the entry pertains.

> I have some more fixes I want to check in.  How do you
> test your changes, beyond running ansi-tests?

My rough guide is the following:

1) CVS head -- must self build and run ansi-tests
2) Testing tags -- must do the above and build acl2/nqthm/pc-nqthm
        and pass their regression suites
3) stable release -- must do the above and build axiom and maxima and
   pass their suites as well, plus ensure competative performance.
   Other items here include correctly running all the gcl-tk demos,
   compiling xgcl and running its demos, regenerating the
   sys-proclaim.lisp files, debian packages on all 12 platforms,
   latest gcc without warnings, etc.

>       Paul

Take care,