gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Performance complaint from a user

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Performance complaint from a user
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:59:51 -0500

Juho Snellman benchmarked some code he wrote for a Google
programming project, and found gcl wasn't very good at
all:

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jesnellm/blog/archive/2005-08-27b.html

He told me the biggest problem was gcl wasn't able to compile
defuns in non-null lexical environments:

;; compile-file didn't do well on this

(let ((x ni))
  (defun foo () ...)
  (defun bar () ...)
  ...)

Even after he fixed that (with special variables) it was still
rather more slow than sbcl or cmucl.  I'd like to see where
the performance bottleneck is for further tuning.

        Paul