gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Performance complaint from a user

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Performance complaint from a user
Date: 29 Aug 2005 11:37:13 -0400

Greetings!  One more thought here -- following the fixnum hashing link
on this site, it appears that fixnum hash code distribution may be an
issue.  Here is what we have at present for eql hashing:

  case t_fixnum:
/*     h=fix(x); */
/*     h ^= (h >> 11); */
/*     h ^= (h <<  7) & 0x9D2C5680U; */
/*     h ^= (h << 15) & 0xEFC60000U; */
    h=fix(x)<<3;
    break;

I had put in the commented code based on some prior experience with
Mersenne twister algorithms locally.  The folks at the University of
Texas, who make extensive use of hash consing in their acl2 based
applications, determined in their testing that the gains were not
worth the overhead.  If there is interest in a discussion of this
issue, I could ask if they would like to share their thoughts.

Take care,