gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Evaluation with GCL as an Inferior Lisp

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Evaluation with GCL as an Inferior Lisp
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:51:11 +0200

Adrienne Thompson writes:
> I would be happy for some clarification on the commands for
> evaluating Lisp source with GCL as an inferior Lisp. I'm running GCL
> 2.6.6 (ANSI) in GNU/Emacs 21.2.

Your problem should not be dependant on the inferior lisp program.
With emacs "22.0.50.1", I've got not problem with
inferior-lisp-mode. Typing C-x C-e at the end of each of the following
s-expressions:

'(this is an expression quoted with the apostrophe character)
(quote (this is an expression quoted with the quote special operator))
(setf starfleet '(cons 'romulans '(earthlings klingons vulcans)))
starfleet
(eval starfleet)
'(starfleet won't evaluate)
'(the romulans will be happy)

produce the following output in the inferior lisp buffer:

CL-USER[35]> (THIS IS AN EXPRESSION QUOTED WITH THE APOSTROPHE CHARACTER)
CL-USER[36]> (THIS IS AN EXPRESSION QUOTED WITH THE QUOTE SPECIAL OPERATOR)
CL-USER[37]> (CONS 'ROMULANS '(EARTHLINGS KLINGONS VULCANS))
CL-USER[38]> (CONS 'ROMULANS '(EARTHLINGS KLINGONS VULCANS))
CL-USER[39]> (ROMULANS EARTHLINGS KLINGONS VULCANS)
CL-USER[40]> (STARFLEET WON 'T EVALUATE)
CL-USER[41]> (THE ROMULANS WILL BE HAPPY)

C-x C-e is bound to the following function (C-h k C-x C-e produces):

C-x C-e runs the command lisp-eval-last-sexp
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `inf-lisp'.
It is bound to C-x C-e.
(lisp-eval-last-sexp &optional and-go)

Send the previous sexp to the inferior Lisp process.
Prefix argument means switch to the Lisp buffer afterwards.

Small brave carnivores
Kill pine cones and mosquitoes
Fear vacuum cleaner