gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Porting Femlisp (second trial)

From: Nicolas Neuss
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Porting Femlisp (second trial)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:36:06 +0200

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

> OK, preliminary equalp hashing is in CVS head.  Are you comfortable
> compiling from there, or do you prefer to wait for Debian package
> migration.  I still have a few other items that need going in before I
> tag t6 and make another Debian upload.

I tried compiling from CVS but some libraries are apparently missing:

gcc -c -Wall -DVOL=volatile -fsigned-char -pipe -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/home/neuss/CL-HOME/gcl/o -I../h -I../gcl-tk fat_string.c
fat_string.c:17:17: bfd.h: No such file or directory
fat_string.c:18:21: bfdlink.h: No such file or directory

I guess I should wait for the Debian package.

> Thank you for this.  This is indeed a reproducible bug.  It will
> require a radical change which I'm hesitatnt to attempt at this
> moment.  Basically, GCL writes an initialization lisp code sequence
> at the end of each compiled file.  It reads the code, loads the
> object, identifies the objects in the code with their addresses in the
> loaded binary, then evaluates the forms.  What it needs to do is read
> one form at a time, identify, and eval, etc.  You make and use the
> package in the same initialization sequence.  A standard workaround is
> to put all your defpackage statements in a separate file which is
> loaded first.  Is this doable for you?

Hmm, I actually like this self-contained setup for small packages.
Therefore I want to leave it as it is.  Testing Femlisp/GCL should work
anyway (maybe slightly more uncomfortably), only reloading binaries into a
fresh GCL would not work.

> We will eventually get to this, but it would appear that other
> priorities are more pressing at the moment.  Please let me know how
> this might impact your work -- that is how the pririties are set in
> the first place :-).

The Femlisp port to GCL is not very high-priority for me, although it would
be nice to have it working.  I will try out new GCL features as they arrive
and report to this list at which point the port hangs.  I guess that this
is the most fruitful approach for both parties.

Yours, Nicolas.