gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Odd idea...

From: C Y
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Odd idea...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:49:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greetings!  I think this idea is great and not odd at all.

Cool! :-).  It would be kind of neat if GCL could be a literate
document as well - and what a great way to work on ANSI compliance :-).

> It is entirely likely that acceptable terms of distribution of
> dpANS were established long ago, but because no one can prove it
> now, we find ourselves in this lamentable situation of not being
> able to include it in our releases..

It's really a frustrating situation.  It's freely downloadable, and
since it's not really official anyway I don't see the point of not
releasing it.  (Darn thing is even written in TeX, too! Perfect for
starting pamphlets.  auuuugh.)

> Just fyi, we are in contact with the people at ansi
> on this subject, and have been for the past year.

Good news!

> We've recently received some response which appears directed at a
> different but related issue.  Now that the dialogue is at least
> flowing, I would like to bring it to a conclusion quickly one way
> or another and then discuss on this list how to proceed from here.

Agreed.  If they DON'T officially free up the draft spec though, I have
absolutely no idea how GCL could be made into a literate document -
would it mean essentially rewriting the whole spec in our own words?
How much of that could be done while still remaining true to the spec?
It's kind of hard to reword something that has to be said in one
particular way to convey an exact meaning.

Anything the rest of us can do to help?

Cheers,
CY

http://mail.yahoo.com