gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: HOL88 and GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: HOL88 and GCL
Date: 01 Nov 2005 11:59:55 -0500

Greetings!

John R Harrison <address@hidden> writes:

> Curiouser and curiouser. I've just built HOL88 on my old Linux laptop
> (PIII, 2.4.18-5, gcc 2.96). It worked in the end, but I saw a similar
> kind of weird nondeterminism. The first time it failed with an error
> message I didn't really understand. I tried walking through the failed
> make step, which failed again. But then after "make clobber" and "make
> hol" again, it suddenly worked all the way through without a hitch.
> Very odd. I may be jumping to conclusions about the nondeterminacy;
> maybe I did delete some file in the "make clobber" stage that was
> incorrectly there at the start. But I thought I did that before too.
>
> So all I can suggest is that you might try more than once and see if
> it makes any difference, and try doing "make clobber" first. Anyway,
> I'm very happy to have an (apparently reliably) working image of good
> old HOL88...

Fantastic!  Would it be possible for you to send be the whole build
log, preferably with the gcl configure and build log?  Is this gcl
2.3.6?   The timing is quite fortuitous, as we have a very few
machines left with gcc 2.95 installed to get this worked out.

FYI, I've tried gcl 2.6.7 on gcc 3.3, and still see some
non-determinism, but never a complete successful build.  Would like to
reproduce what you are doing more closely.

Thanks again!