gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:51:28 -0500

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:15 AM  Tim Daly (root) wrote:
>
> > Bill Page wrote:
> > >
> > > The Debian prerequisite for Axiom is the non-ansi version of
> > > gcl. If the non-ansi version is not installed on the system
> > > then 'apt-get install axiom' will also install it.
>
> Actually what I wrote is only for a binary distribution. There
> are different apt-get procedures for building from source. I
> should have said 'apt-get build-deps axiom' will install the
> right version of gcl if it is not already there and
> 'apt-get source axiom' will get the source distribution.

Just again a clarification -- the binary gcl package thus pulled in
willl contin both ansi and traditional images.  The Debian axiom
source package selects the traditional by unsetting (or not setting)
the GCL_ANSI environment variable.

> > true but not everyone uses debian.
> > how do we solve the redhat9 issue?
> >

> For people who are building from source we just tell them what
> the prerequisites are and probably also check in ./configure that
> they have everything they need.
>
> I think there are some source distribution tools for RedHat such
> as source format rpm files, yum and up2date source options and
> even a version of apt-get but I think they are not maintained
> in so tightly controlled manner as Debian so they (generally)
> are not as useful - at least in my experience. For building
> large applications from source on Fedora I usually just resolve
> dependencies one-at-a-time as they show up.

Glad to hear that there is at least some perceived value in Debian --
it does take a reasonable amount of work!

Take care,