gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: sgc issue

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: sgc issue
Date: 05 Jan 2006 10:54:25 -0500

Greetings!

I know of one condition which can cause this -- running under an
SELinux box (i.e. certain redhat boxes come with this by default)
configured in strict mode.  By default, the setup instructs the kernel
to deny any application the right to make allocated memory executable,
which is indispensable to GCL.  Turning off strict mode (I think
'kickstart' can do this) is a workaround.  There is also likely a less
severe but more involved workaround (not yet tested) posted earlier on
gcl-devel -- rebuilding the SELinux policy with the memory protect
access explicitly granted (cannot remember the flag name at present,
but I can dig it up if you want.)  Most drastically, one can simply
disable SELinux, at least temporarily to test.

Please keep me posted if this does not work.  Alas, there is no
workaround at GCL configure time possible for a system which refuses
executable memory access, as we load and execute code on the fly all
the time.

Take care,