gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: 2.7.0 and OS X

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.7.0 and OS X
Date: 07 Mar 2006 09:34:44 -0500

Greetings!

"Aurelien Chanudet" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 25 Feb 2006 14:34:15 -0500, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Greetings, and please excuse my delayed reply, as I've been away from
> > work and GCl for about 1 month.
> >
> > 2.7.0 needs some attention on the Mac analogous to what Mike Thomas
> >     did recently on Windows.  In sum, we need an algorithm to
> >     determine the size and location of the immediate fixnum area (if
> >     any) automatically at configure time.  Aurelien, any time to work
> >     on this?
>
> What's the fixnum area ? What file should I look at to see what Mike
> did for Windows ?

http://people.debian.org/~camm/gcl.jpg

This is a memory layout diagram illustrating the new C defines which
need to be correctly set in configure.  There may be some additional
work interfacing with your customized sbrk emulation.  I haven't had
time to look at it yet on Mac.  The idea with the fixnum area is to
pick the largest available block of address space which could never be
used as heap in principle.  On some machines this winds up being below
the heap.  2.7.0 configure tries to discern bounds for these areas
from the stack location and shared library loading address, among
other items.  There is also a facility to lower the start of the text
if possible via a linker script to give more room.  Perhaps Mike might
comment on what he did for Windows.

Is there any possibility that we might merge the two sbrk emulation
routines for these two platforms?

Take care,