gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] autoproclaiming

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] autoproclaiming
Date: 15 May 2006 17:21:00 -0400

Greetings!  Sorry for the delay on this -- my local version is
self-building and running the ansi tests correctly with
auto-proclamation on at present, but I've introduced a problem with
maxima which I am trying to track down before committing.

Assuming this will work, we have the following strategies for
compiling a call to an as yet uncompiled function:

1) Default to slow compile of an unproclaimed function
2) Make all compiles fast C calls of lisp object only (no fixnum
args), and set VFUN_NARGS at each call.  This should be a perfomance
hit of some magnitude.
3) (My favorite, at least fancifully), -- collect a list of callees on
the function name plist, together with its old source once compiled.
When the callee is compiled, trigger a recursive set of recompiles of
the callers until consistency is reached.

Just thoughts.

Take care,