gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: heap sighz

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: heap sighz
Date: 18 Jun 2006 10:28:19 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for the feedback.  I take it this was with
2.6.x, which won't work as you've observed.  Bob has been most
helpfully testing the development version, 2.7.0, which is quite a
significant change in many ways.  (One of which, btw, is that you
should get at least 50% more cons space, and perhaps another 128M of
heap by lowering the text start address, in addition to the major
memory expander -- enable-static, which gets around the shared memory
address limit.)

Your suggestion about getting rid of maxpages altogether is a good one
-- I've been meaning to do this for some time.  GCL has always
depended on a contiguous heap growing adjacent to the end of the .data
segment of the executable.  A static array indexes the page types, so
the heap limits need to be known in advance.  Enlarging the page size
from 4096 bytes, replacing the static array with a dynamic one growing
up to limits imposed by the system, and perhaps (most ambitiously)
getting GCL to deal with non-contiguous heap would seem like ideas
worth exploring.  The last one is the most dangerous, as it will
clearly interfere with si::save-system, and may be deemed unnecessary
now that --enable-static is available (in 2.7.0).

While I can't recommend 2.7.0 for production use yet, standard acl2
3.0 passes all its tests at present, and at several tagged (and hence
available) moments in the past.  There might be a few performance
issues at the moment, as we are in the middle of developing a facility
to automatically optimize function calls.

Take care,