gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: running out of space

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: running out of space
Date: 21 Jun 2006 14:11:52 -0400

Greetings!

1) the hole is a speed size tradeoff - too small, and your always
   gc'ing the whole heap to move it and make a new one -- too large,
   and you waste space.  Right now it scales as a percentage of the
   current working heap.  Seems like it would be better to step down
   as one approaches maxpage usage, maybe a percentage of the minimum
   of the current heap and the complementary unused or available heap?
   Something like this can be added without too much fuss if we can
   agree upon what is desired.

2) I'm a little confused by the 138 million cons number for 2.6.7 and
   just wanted to point out two things a) conses are 12 bytes in
   2.6.7, and b) static linking does not work (if I recall) out of the
   box.  So this leaves 88 million unless you guys have backported
   some patches from cvs head, which is great if so.  If so, and if
   they are very small and useful, perhaps they can go into 2.6.8.

Take care,