gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] A bug in maxima-5.10.0.a

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] A bug in maxima-5.10.0.a
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:28:55 -0600

On 10/24/06, Vadim V. Zhytnikov <address@hidden> wrote:

I'm not sure this is really GCL bug.  The point that gcl
always resets *tmp-dir* on start up.  But this doesn't
happen with Maxima image.  Probably Maxima itself should
take care of resetting *tmp-dir*.

Why is *tmp-dir* not assigned correctly in the Maxima image?
If Maxima is preventing GCL from assigning this value correctly,
or causing GCL to assign it incorrectly, it is a Maxima bug.
Otherwise it is a GCL bug.

On the whole I don't think Maxima should try to manage
internal variables for each Lisp implementation. There is
probably already some of that happening now, but I think
we should steer away from doing more of it.

All the best
Robert